Basement bathroom planning

Users who are viewing this thread

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
eat-sleep-and-code.blogspot.com
Hi,

I'm in the initial stages of planning out how we're going to add a basement bathroom to our current 1 bath house. I plan to go under the concrete to the sewer line which is about 5-6' away. I'll be hiring out the rough plumbing, and doing everything else on my own. I've done a lot of remodeling, but this is the first bathroom. We're looking to keep costs down, but still want quality to last beyond the 4-5 years we expect to stay here.

One item that I'm stumped on now, is the (alcove) shower. I'm seeing the following options:

• Pre-fab shower units for around $300-$500
  • Kohler shower pan for $250, concrete board/tile for the walls, glass shower door for $300-$500.
  • Schluter Kerdi system for $300, drywall/tile for the walls/floor, glass shower door for $300-$500.

I'm having trouble figuring out the best option for this. Are there other options that I should be considering? If you build an alcove shower, are there any other options than a glass door?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you build an alcove shower, are there any other options than a glass door?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

>Shower curtain
>floor drain , no door.

The one piece stall is the least labor, and is ok for a shower which would be used infrequently. If it will be used a lot, spring for the tile. Take some good measurements, because you may not be able to get a one piece into the basement. But you could use a fibreglass pan and 3 piece surround.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

The one piece is the only unit you can install and be sure it will not leak. As for it being for "infreguent" usage, MOST of them are used in homes where they are used at least once daily, and possibly many times, depending on the occupants.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
, MOST of them are used in homes where they are used at least once daily, and possibly many times, depending on the occupants.

But he did say this was a basement bathroom. Unless there is a bedroom going in with this, it sounded like possibly an infrequent usage situation, possibly.

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
Hi,

This will be a daily use bathroom....as my wife and I pretty much get ready for work at the same time. While we don't want to go all out (cost-wise) for this project, I do want to use quality materials and techniques to stand up to daily use. I will also be getting permits/inspections for this project.

I was taking a look at some of the fiberglass shower pans at Home Depot last night...it looked like they are designed to go with the shower wall systems. If I want to buy a fiberglass pan and tile the walls, what's the best option? Or should I just try to build the mortar bed myself?

Thanks,
Kevin

Rocknroj

Reaction score
Prefab shower walls are tough

I am working on the same project, but a bit ahead. I picked up a 3 piece shower base and 2 walls.. In hindsight I think the base is ok but getting everything perfect to install the 3 piece walls is tough and I would have saved time tiling the surround walls. It was a snap together surround, so everything has to be perfectly square for it to fit together. If I ever did such a project again, I would not use the type of surround that I purchased. It was called a Sterling, made by Kohler...

Good luck with the project.. It is a tough one

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
Rocknroj,

Thanks for the advice. I'm fairly certain I'm going to tile the shower vs. a surround. I found this plastic spoke system from The Tile Store, which all but guarantees I should be able to properly slope the floor. I plan to make a 3'x5' shower, but size the entryway to use a standard glass door that I purchase off the shelf.

If you have any pictures, I'd like to take a look...

-Kevin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks