Basement Bathroom New Shower Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chesterhandyman

Reaction score
Hey guys Ive been thinking of adding a shower in my basement bathroom. I have a toilet coming right off the main 4" drain. The 4" IRON comes out of the floor into 3" PVC and goes up to the roof. Im thinking of replacing the old iron toilet elbow with a new PVC 3"x3"x2" and running with 2" PVC to the new Ptrap for the shower.

My understanding is the 2" PVC run can be no longer then 5 feet for the main 3" stack to act as a vent.

My question is

1) Is the 5' measurement for venting from the main drain or from where the 2" pipe starts (off the new toilet elbow location)

2) If this doesnt work any ideas?

I added a picture to help with all the info i could think of, spent more time on it then expected
g8237.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your shower drain is not vented and will be siphoned dry by the toilet.

Chesterhandyman

Reaction score
well darn, thanks for the response i guess i have to run a 1.5 inch pipe past and back up then connect it to the stack or to the roof?
thanks again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT connect it back to the stack, unless you do it at least 42" above ANY OTHER fixture connections above it. and since it will also be venting the toilet, (it is NOT vented now), it should be 2".

Chesterhandyman

Reaction score
ok thanks again man gonna have to take a look this def complicates the matter might have to dare i say "call a plumber"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might get by without venting the toilet, but, you DO need to vent the shower. That would only require a 1.5" vent line, I think, bigger if you want to (are required to) also vent the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks