Basement Bathroom Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Philwgreen

Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread...I hope that is ok. My older thread (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/bathtub-toilet-vent-question.59923/) dated back more than a year and I thought it might be getting hard to follow...it was for me! Furthermore, I've since broken up the concrete and exposed the original cast iron drain lines. No more guesswork, I know for sure what's there now.

The first picture shows the trench as is currently stands. Side question: I have absolutely no idea what the 2" cast iron pipe is to the right of the main sewer line. It's not a gas line (that's the vertical black pipe on the far left of the picture that starts about half way up) All other drains in the house have been accounted for and it's definitely cast iron.

Ok, back on topic - the second picture outlines the cast iron pipe in the ground since it's hard to see among the dirt.

The original basement bathroom had a lav and a toilet. The vertical cast iron pipe on the right was the original lav drain, the one on the left is a vent pipe that connects above the drains on the floor above it. They both tie into the 3" toilet line, which ties into the main line.

The new bathroom layout consists of a lav, toilet and bathtub.

Two questions: Is the proposed setup in the third picture accurate? Can the bathtub wet vent the toilet this way or does the tub line need to connect all the way back to the main line with the toilet wye'ing off of the toilet line? It's hard to draw it in 3 dimensions - but the idea was that the shower vent would run vertically in the wall that will be between the tub and toilet.

The second question is about the vents. The vertical cast iron pipe on the left is a vent that connects above all other drains on the floor above. Can the lav and toilet vent run horizontally (with proper pitch) along the ceiling to tie into that vent line? The basement bathroom is directly below a bedroom so I can't go straight up with my vents without going through the middle of the room above.

basement-bath-01.jpg

basement-bath-02.jpg

basement-bath-03c.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You have the right idea, but I am not sure what your plan is for the tub vent. It cannot run horizontally below the floor, it must be vertical.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

It was really hard to draw the plan in "3D". The idea was to come straight up with the tub vent inside a wall that will be built between the tub and toilet. Then connect the tub and sink vents back to the original cast iron vent - basically at ceiling height.

Am I correct in thinking the vents can run horizontal after ~42"? Otherwise, I have no idea how I could get them to an outside wall to get up to the second floor.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Quick sketch of the plan from another angle...before the concrete was broken up. It's a very quick and rough sketch but hopefully it shows how I planned to bring the tub vent straight up off of the drain. FYI, I didn't bother drawing how the two vents would connect but they are connecting to the cast iron pipe in the back.

basement-bath-05.jpg

Philwgreen

Reaction score
I decided it might be easier to visualize what I was trying to do by building a small mockup (see attached picture). The dimensions are arbitrary - just used what scrap PVC pipe I had laying around - but the distance between the tub trap and the toilet are pretty close to the real dimensions.

Would something like this work?

For the tub vent - the wye is rolled to 45. Is that the proper way to attach that vent pipe or is that a better way?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1250.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks