Basement Bathroom ejector vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxWarp

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a noob on the forum. I've spent a lot of time reading and I can't seem to find a clear answer to a question that probably never should be asked in the first place.

I'm about to embark on a DIY bathroom in the basement. There's an ejector pit with a floor drain that is already installed. My plan is to tie into that ejector pit (after breaking up the floor) and use it for the new bathroom. Unfortunately the house was built in the 90s (IL) and it has an elevated sewer line (pvc) and they didn't provision a "future vent" line from the roof into the basement. The ejector pit has a 2" PVC vent that runs up into the roof space. Is it permissible for me to tie into the ejector pit vent to use as the central vent for the bathroom itself? I've seen conflicting information on the topic where there's arguments about the pump pushing enough air out that it creates a vacuum and sucks the traps dry and then I've seen other advice saying it's allowed so long as it's at least 42" elevated above the pump.

Is there a single answer to this topic? I really don't want to run another vent to the roof even though it's possible to do so through a wet wall in the laundry room - it's just a pain in the rear to undertake running pvc cleanly over 2 stories. Appreciate any feedback that the pros/diy'ers might have on this one.

Thanks!

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Im not sure about America, but there is nothing in the Canadian code that says a vent from a sewage ejector pit has to extend independently through the roof. Basically, this means that other vents can connect to the vent from the sewage pit, providing they connect above the flood level rim of the fixture that is being vented.

MaxWarp

Reaction score
Haha...stop trying to make me want to live in Canada. ;) Here in the US in most states the plumbing code calls very specifically that all ejector pits must have a independent vent to the roof/ridgeline that is completely separate from the main sewer line. It never gets as clear to call out not using that ejector vent for any other portion of the system but rather that it shall not be part of the main sewer vent.

MaxWarp

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I figured out the answer to my own question. As long as it's 42" down the line from the beginning of the vent it should be ok. Time to get to work!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks