Basement Bathroom Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Vann

Reaction score
Hello,
Sorry for the long post.
(UPDATE: I cannot seem to get my Google Photos to embed in this forum so I have provided links to the images - sorry for the hassle. :mad:)

I am planning a 3-pc bathroom in my basement.
I have re-framed the room, so broke up the concrete where the old plumbing was. I'm not a plumber, but it sure looks like a mess to me (see "Original" image below). The cleanout was covered by the original subfloor, so it really wasn't doing anything. The sink/shower plumbing is just cut into the top of the 4" PVC pipe and siliconed in place.

There is Concrete Asbestos (CA), ABS and PVC all joined together so I am going to rip everything up to the AC pipe out and start fresh.

Original Plumbing:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...h86PcRpN7-fSqhO6mx6VD_TUnEI-lfN0n9ECj02g0' />

I have a few questions before I get started and I looked through a lot of forum posts to come up with a plan I think will work (See "Proposed" image below).

Proposed Plumbing:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...dr8yonS_XyxJ_dU8bNiXmjxdhDEdrV7yFgGEcRDjM' />

The overall length of the entire system is just under 8 feet.

Regardless, I think I am going to need something similar to this image where the shower hooks around into the main line:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...ivc6rMGWKq0KK5tVokw7oQSByMzrKyBsF7poXNWdK' />

The only vent I have close by is from my kitchen sink drain that is directly to the right of the images I have shown above.

Below is an image showing where I am planning to cut the pipes (Note: I have not cut out anything yet, I just "photoshopped this image to remove the old plumbing).

If anyone here has a better idea, please feel free to sketch it on this image (See "Open Trench" image below).
Open Trench Image:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...BEtqXmkfKgQ6j9L3fqWkcMktw48qVNZ7Lir8qVyeE' />

Some initial questions:
1. Should I use ABS or PVC? I am in Ontario Canada - and I could not see where one is specified over the other.
2. Is it okay to keep the main line 4" and use wyes to adapt down to the smaller I.D. ?
3. Can I use the 2" vented kitchen drain pipe to vent these three pieces? The kitchen sink is currently the only thing on this 3" vent.
4. Can I use an AAV instead? If so, what dimensions do the pipes need to be?
5. As shown in the "Blank" image, I am planning on cutting the PVC and leaving around a 5" stub connected to the AC pipe. I would rather not cut into the AC if it can be avoided. This will allow me to use glued PVC/ABS couplers instead of a Fernco on the AC .
6. Is there anything else I missed? I have been looking at different layouts in many forums and this is the best I could come up with.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Vann

Reaction score
Here is a better diagram of what I am trying to do:

remodelPlumbingDiagram.jpg

Basically, I would like to know:
  • Can I use an AAV (option 1) instead of vent (option 2)? I am in Ontario, Canada.
  • If I have to use a vent pipe, is there an easier way to run it? There is a finished kitchen above the basement bathroom and the attic has literally 6" of space between the ceiling plate and the roof where the vent protrudes. No room to make a connection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would ask the inspector about option #1 and the AAV
That works under UPC plumbing code here. It has to be open to air and accessible for later replacements.

Vann

Reaction score
Thanks Terry - I checked the Ontario code and it looks like it is legal here too.
I appreciate the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks