Basement Bath rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on the site, hopefully I am as clear and thorough as I need to be. I am adding a basement 1/2 bath to my 1945 split level in Stratford, CT. I have seen a couple posts on here of basically the same thing in which guys post pics of their pipe layout and the experts critique the layout. I thought I would save myself the embarrassment of configuring the sink and toilet drains/vents in a ridiculous non-functional way. Instead I have attached two drawings of what I currently have in hopes that one of you experts would post how you would lay out the pipes.

Attachments

• basement bathroom.jpg
    basement bathroom.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Reaction score
Just got home. Thought it would be a good idea to upload real pictures rather than my terrible drawings.

Attachments

• image1a.jpg
    image1a.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 754
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 743
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 765
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 794

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Your main prob. will be where are you going to run the vent? it has to connect above any fixture on the upper floors. Where do you want to rough-in the fixtures? next to the pipe sticking out of the wall? :confused:

Reaction score
I am going to be fraiming the wet wall in front of the pipes coming out of the wall and the vertical main drain line. I will then have a gap behind that new wall in which I am hoping to run the vent pipe.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
1) you can drain the sink into the existing pipe above slab which will be behind your new wall.
2) As for the toilet, after you build the wall, will the toilet (closet flange) be directly over the 4" drain in the ground?

Reaction score
OK. I had some time today so I have laid out the pipes. Please take a look and let me know what I have done wrong. The toilet drain is 3" PVC and the lav drain is 2". The vent out the top of the lav tee will be 2".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• layout1.jpg
    layout1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 746
  • layout2.jpg
    layout2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 728
  • layout3.jpg
    layout3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 740

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

Is this all going to be above the floor? Unless I am seeing incorrectly, that existing combo on the horizontal drain, is being reduced from 2" to 1 1/2" before it continues to the corner. If so, then at least part of the existing plumbing was done by a DIYer or handyman. If you have the elevation to do it, (that elbow below the toilet is not the correct one for that location, it should be a "long turn" 90), that piping you show will work. You may have to waste a lot of space making room for it in the wall however. In other words, it is not how I might do it, but I would have to be there to see the best way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply HJ.

Most of the pipes will be below the slab. The 2" drain for the lav will come through the slap at the wet wall and the toilet drain will come up straight through the floor.

I took a closer picture of the 3" 90 for the toilet. You were saying this should be a Long Turn 90 instead? I thought that is what it was. What should I look for that is different?

The existing pipe does go from 2" to 1.5" will the inspector nail me for that even if I don't tie into it?

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• 3inch 90.jpg
    3inch 90.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 3inch 90b.jpg
    3inch 90b.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 691

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
elbow

They do not make street long radius elbows, or at least I have never heard of one. That is a standard/medium radius bend which is okay if you were going horizontally and then dropped down vertically, but not the opposite as you are doing. As for the 2" to 1 1/2" reduction, he should because even though it is existing, it was NEVER a proper connection and therefore would not have been approved if it had been inspected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks