basement bath remodel, need some under slab and vent help

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
hj is a washer considered a "major" fixture?

For example if a properly vented washing machine (2") tied into a 3" drain after the lav(2") but before the shower(2") and the w/c(3"), would this be considered a major over minor violation? The bathroom was originally set up to wet vent through the lav.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
hj is a washer considered a "major" fixture?

For example if a properly vented washing machine (2") tied into a 3" drain after the lav(2") but before the shower(2") and the w/c(3"), would this be considered a major over minor violation? The bathroom was originally set up to wet vent through the lav.

Correct you cant wet vent a toilet and shower with a washing machine upstream.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Correct you cant wet vent a toilet and shower with a washing machine upstream.

Increasing the diameter downstream of the connection wont make a difference code wise will it? About the only option is tying the washer downstream of the whole bathroom?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Increasing the diameter downstream of the connection wont make a difference code wise will it? About the only option is tying the washer downstream of the whole bathroom?

Or have it vented...no wet vents. Now I'm speaking from my experiences,I cant speak about every code out there. Codes can vary from county to city with different ammendments etc etc...it can get to be a real mess.

Washing machines have special consideration because they have a pump and they produce suds.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm talking about retro-fitting a laundry drain into an existing system, trying to solve a debate between an acquaintance and myself.

I'd be most worried about it siphoning the shower trap dry, or having double-drainage issues if the toilet is used at the same time as the washer. Bumping up to 3" may solve this issue somewhat, but maybe not legally.

Talking about weird code issues though,

For example in Canada you're allowed to use a 3" p-trap to create an "emergency" floor drain without it's own vent, the piping downstream would obvously need to be 3"

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Plenty will work and work forever that doesn't meet code,from your posts,you know that. I found that out along time ago. If your asking me if a washing machine upstream of a toilet and shower wet vented through a horizontal 3" pipe .........then I would agree it would work. Its a combination waste and vent system basically. It would be better if the pipe could be 4".

Kentd

Reaction score
The other problem is if you make the toilet vent dry, it must be vertical. (no less than 45 degrees to the floor).

Your existing layout would be fine here, if you installed a separate vent for the shower.

Unfortunately, I can't see how to get to a wall for a separate vent for the shower.

Kentd

Reaction score
IMG_3336_tn - Copy - Copy.jpg

I can get rid of the existing wet vent and put in a dry vent that will be at 30 degrees. That might have to be good enough.

Kent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; if the toilet tied in last, you wouldn't have major-over-minor, now would you?

Actually, that would ensure that EVERY unvented connection, such as that shower and maybe a floor drain, would violate the major over a minor rule. As far as the washer, it is "major" compared to tubs, showers, and sinks, but a "minor" to a toilet. So it cannot be connected above a lavatory or laundry sink, but here, they can be above the washer. Installing the "yellow" line vents the shower, and ALSO the toilet so the existing vent becomes superfluous and should be removed to eliminate the "flat vent" problem.

Or you can just turn the shower "Y" on its back, like the existing toilet vent, (you can roll it down towards the wall if you need the shower connection farther below the concrete), remove the toilet vent "Y", install a combo out of the "new Y" for the shower then reconnect the existing toilet vent to the combo. Much simpler and cleaner.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dlarvaree: HOW you do it will determine whether it will create problems. Before we can say anything we would have to know how you plan to do it, NOT what you want to do.

Kentd

Reaction score
Final revision?

IMG_3336_tn - Copy (2).jpg

Yellow shows the new drain line for the toilet and also the "Y" on its back that brings in the combined shower and lav drain.

Red shows the 'upper level' "Y" on its side for the shower branch and the rest of the shower branch. Also shown in red is the new lav drain line.

Blue shows where I want to bring in a bar sink drain from an adjoining room. I am showing a vertical santee connection below the bathroom lav santee.

Note: Existing "Y" on its back next to the toilet will be deleted.

Note: Toilet riser is 4", toilet drain line is 3".

Note: Bar sink drain branch and lav drain branch are 1 1/4".

Note: Everything else not listed above is 2".

And, finally, if I need the room, I can rotate the "Y" on its back either closer to the wall or closer to the shower drain. Is that right hj?

Thanks,
Kent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Note: Bar sink drain branch and lav drain branch are 1 1/4".

WHERE are you getting 1 1/4" pipe and drain fittings? I know they are made, but I have NEVER seen any. I would HATE to ever have to snake a 1 1/4" drain and do it properly. Correct, but it would be easier to rotate it towards the wall to make the shower connection easier, since it would give more room for it.

Kentd

Reaction score
quote; Note: Bar sink drain branch and lav drain branch are 1 1/4".

WHERE are you getting 1 1/4" pipe and drain fittings? I know they are made, but I have NEVER seen any. I would HATE to ever have to snake a 1 1/4" drain and do it properly.

Whoops! I meant 1 1/2". :eek:

Didn't mean to give you a heart attack on a Friday at 5 o'clock.

Thanks again for the advice. I truly appreciate it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Didn't mean to give you a heart attack on a Friday at 5 o'clock.

It would not be me. It would be whoever had to snake the plugged up drain., and HE/she would be making a lot of comments about your ancestors.

Kentd

Reaction score
I must either be more awesome at this plumbing stuff than I thought! Everyone is speechless!

Either that or I am beyond all hope.

:)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The layout looks good. Might just be the photo, but the lav drain looks like it needs some pitch. You should have fun getting that all bedded in properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks