Basement bath plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

MSiegs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to add a stand up shower to an existing half bath in my home and want to get some professional feedback. The bathroom had been framed and water feeds installed for a shower at some point but the drain line was never added. I am located in Michigan.

Additionally I am re-routing the drain from the first floor tub to be concealed with the shower wall of the basement bath and connect into the drain line under the concrete slab. Currently this line runs diagonally across the ceiling and connects to the main stack.

I have attached some drawings of two different plans.

Thank you for your feedback, this is a great site.

Matt

Basement Bath_Plan1-01-01.jpg Basement Bath_Plan2-02-02.jpg

Attachments

• BasementBath_Plan1.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 161
  • BasementBath_Plan2.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A fixture vent must be downstream of the fixture's trap, and must be vertical until it is at least 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served, whichever is higher.

MSiegs

Reaction score
Thanks for the response,

I was afraid of this answer. I am at a point of having no realistic solution on how to vent this shower as you describe. The main sewer line coming in from behind the toilet is very shallow, only about 3" below top of the concrete slab.

What about this option?: I could run the trap arm to the shower wall with a san tee so the vent goes vertical and drain going immediately down into a 90 to come back over to meet the 3" drain line. Seems like the water has to travel a lot farther and I would have to build a 4" tall platform below my shower base in order to get drain pitch right, which would make my shower threshold about 8". Definitely not ideal.

Thanks,
Matt

Basement Bath_Plan3-03.jpg

MSiegs

Reaction score
The exterior wall is concrete and will only have a furred wall on it, 1.5" thick. Also there is a drain tile under the concrete that runs along the length of that wall that I am leary of having to plumb around.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
From insulation, to electrical, and plumbing, you would be much better served to build a stud wall on the interior of the foundation wall. Your vent can come up out of the floor at 45 degrees, so you would have a lot of room to run your 2" line well to the inside of the drain tile for the vent to come up and then angle the drain back towards the building drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks