Basement bath DWV vents into brick chimney

Users who are viewing this thread

S2igi

Reaction score
My daughter bought a house 18 months ago when homes were selling without inspections. I'm doing some minor renovation to her basement bath and I wasn't planning on messing with the plumbing but the DWV vent runs into the brick chimney. The same chimney where the furnace and H20 heater vent but comes in about 12 inches below either other exhaust. Shower and toilet wet-vented through sink, turns horizontal (slight slope up) ~43 inches above floor for about five feet then goes vertical again about 2 feet and then turns horizontal into brick chimney. Sewage pit also ties into this vent. It appears the vent pipe is well sealed going into the chimney. I can see why it was done this way. Due to location it is probably impossible to tie into current vent and going out through the wall looks like a terrible job.

So, the sewer gas can escape and there is a source of air to be pulled into the system as a vent. It appears to be working but would like to hear just how dangerous this might be and why?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks