Baseboard heater valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeiii

Reaction score
Hi

I have a baseboard heater valve with a broken stem. The nut to remove the stem is frozen. My plumber was unable to loosen the nut holding the stem in place and didn't want to remove the valve because he was not sure he could find a replacement. ( The system is 55 years old).

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or if I remove it if I can get it rebuilt?

Attached is a photo of the valve.

Thanks

Mike

HeaterValve1.jpg

(sorry for the duplicate posting I posted this on the electrical forum first and couldn't figure out how to move it)

Msgale

Reaction score
depends more on the pipe feeding the valve, than the valve itself.
Assume the valve isnt salvageable.
the photo isnt clear enough as to what type of pipe do you have off to the right of the valve, between the valve and radiator?

if it's copper, which is what it looks like, you just remove valve, unsolder or cut pip, and re do the whole angle valve part w same size of copper pipe and a new valve that will fit in.

and yes, you will need to drain the system to do this.
Or, if the valve is ok as is, just ignore the whole problem.

Mikeiii

Reaction score
Basebaoard Heater Valve

Thanks for the reply. All the pipes are 1" copper.

I was hoping to be able to just replace the valve but the union on the value I found at Grangier was the wrong size and it had a threaded pipe off the union.

Do they make a valve with a 1" copper pipe coming off the union? I can make the one I found work but I will not be able to put the cover back on the radiator.

By the way disregard the 1 and 8/5" shown on the photo it was a typo.

Mike

Msgale

Reaction score
why not just cut or desolder off the valve and ells, and re pipe the whole visible area w a one inch copper pipe and a vlave that fits the space?
you really dont need the union: when was the last time you opened the union to remove the radiator?
and, no union makes it easier to get a valve that will fit

Mikeiii

Reaction score
Radiator Valve

Thats a great suggestion! I'm not a plumber but I've had a couple look at this and they focused on a valve with a Union. The building is 50 years old and I don't think the Union has ever been used.

Thanks for the idea.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks