Baseboard Heater Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Spta97

Reaction score
I am installing a baseboard heater in a downstairs bathroom and had a few questions which I'm hoping to get some help:

1) Pipe Diameter - I currently have 1/2" copper as the feed/return - is it ok to use 1/2" PEX from the copper to the baseboard or should I go to 3/4" due to the smaller ID? The run is barely a foot and I'm not concerned about pumping a ton of heat as the room is small and adjacent to the boiler room (I've lived with the previous heater removed for 5 years).

2) Bleeder - I like to have bleeders installed on all the baseboards but since this room is on a concrete slab the pipes will come through the wall horizontally. Is it ok to use a manual coin bleeder horizontally on the return with the 90 degree elbow? I found online instructions which said it is ok to install horizontally.

3) Connecting the PEX to the baseboard - I've seen Sharkbite push fittings but I don't fully trust them (and I cannot find one with a bleeder). What is the preferred method for horizontal PEX piping connecting to copper of the baseboard?

I'm tempted to just sweat the entire connection with copper but since I'll have so many adjacent fittings it will be more challenging which I would like to avoid and I'm not sure the existing copper will line up to the new baseboard.

It's been a while since I've messed with the heating system so I appreciate the replies or any suggestions!

ps: I plan to use copper rings for the PEX rather than the stainless steel cinch rings I've used elsewhere. Not sure if anyone has an opinion on one vs the other - I have both tools.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Having valves on both ends baseboard piping with a coin vent at the return valve. With vent open just crack supply valve fill piping and heater. Air goes to the highest point in the system main boiler auto vent should take out the little thats left. Different pex tubing has a max water temp 180-200* any type of rings should be rated for that temp.

Spta97

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think I need to install the bleeder in the room behind the heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks