Barand Shower Fixture Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed223

Reaction score
Just moved into a 16 year old house. All the shower valves (Barand Cannon Cove Collection) appear to have bad cartridges. The valve s have a thermostatic cartridge. The hot water temperature at the bathroom sinks is great (140-150 degrees F). However, the showers only have luke warm water (105 degrees F) with the valve full hot. I adjusted the stops on the valve to allow full hot and it made little, if any difference. My understanding is Barand is no longer in business and cartridges are very difficult to obtain, if at all. Three questions.....

1. What actually happens to the cartridge that it prevents proper operation?
2. Any tricks for removing the cartridge? It looks like the large brass retaining nut has little chance of being removed without being damaged and striped.
3. Any known cartridge availability?

Thanks.

JMEDGAR

Reaction score
Website
starcraftcustombuilders.com
Barand theremostatic shower valves were patented and manufactured by I.W. Industries, which went out of business in 2006.

The patent for the valve was acquired by Durst Corporation, Inc. which trades as Jaclo Industries. They are still being made which bodes well for getting a replacement cartridge for the valve from Jaclo.

Other sources include plumbing parts suppliers like Ferguson Repair Parts, Grigg Industries and Locke Plumbing. They may or may not have the cartridge you need, but I know they sell Barand cartridges.

PlumbBob19652345

Reaction score
Just moved into a 16 year old house. All the shower valves (Barand Cannon Cove Collection) appear to have bad cartridges. The valve s have a thermostatic cartridge. The hot water temperature at the bathroom sinks is great (140-150 degrees F). However, the showers only have luke warm water (105 degrees F) with the valve full hot. I adjusted the stops on the valve to allow full hot and it made little, if any difference. My understanding is Barand is no longer in business and cartridges are very difficult to obtain, if at all. Three questions.....

1. What actually happens to the cartridge that it prevents proper operation?
2. Any tricks for removing the cartridge? It looks like the large brass retaining nut has little chance of being removed without being damaged and striped.
3. Any known cartridge availability?

Thanks.
Ed223, did you ever figure out how to get the cartridge out? I have the same problem...
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks