Bar Sink Rough In Layout - Which is the best option?

Users who are viewing this thread

resq944

Reaction score
Hello all, I am roughing in a bar sink and Im not sure which of the following layouts would be legal/correct best/preferable ... or what should be done that I didnt think of.

The issue (I think) is the horizontal drain line is too high to put in a sweep 90 (horizontal to vert.) with a san-T on top for the drain stub out and trap adapter (see 1st diagram labeled "original plan").

If I did this the drain stub out center line would be 24" off the floor which seem very high to me.

All of the rough ins I have ever seen or done (other than pedestal sinks) recommend 15"-18" to center line off the floor for the drain stub out.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and 24" is acceptable but it seems awful high to me??

I have come up with the following options, any opinions, other/better options would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

All Piping is 1.5" PVC
I'm on 2018 IPC

Original Plan:
original plan.jpg

Option 1:
Option 1.jpg

Option 2:

Option 2.jpg

Option 3:
Option 3.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Original OK.
Option 1 not ok due to non-long elbow.
Option 2 OK for IPC but not UPC due to santee on its back for venting. Combo (wye+45) for the vent would be OK everywhere.
Option 3 not OK IPC. Not sure about UPC.

Another option would be santee at 45 degrees feeding a 45 to go horizontal.

resq944

Reaction score
Thanks Reach!

The option you suggested (45 san-t feeding 45 ell to horizontal)

Would it look like this? and if so would the 90° ell after the san-t be long or short (not vent) or either?

Option4:

Option 4.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, the san-tee side inlet would still point perpendicular to the wall finish, the straight inlet and outlet would be 45 from plumb.

Cheers, Wayne

resq944

Reaction score
Unless I am misreading Reach's post I think option 2 with a wye combo seems to "fit" the best and is code for both IPC and UPC (Im on IPC) its also puts the drain stub out t the lowest height (19") .

Please let me know if I misunderstood though.

Final would look like this:
Option 2a.jpg

OR This (preferable to me if code ok due to fitment)?

Option 2b.jpg

Last edited:

resq944

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks so much for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks