Banging pipes from sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

hondaloyal

Reaction score
Can anybody give me some advice before I call the plumber's number on the downpipe....

I moved into this house a couple of years ago: the sump pump was claimed to have been replaced recently, but after it runs and clears for about 3-4 seconds the pipes bang loudly; so much we can feel it upstairs. The 3 piece downstairs bathroom drains into the sump, so it runs several times when the shower is run. I have braced it as best I can with that metal support cable, as can be shown in the picture, but I suppose the weight of the water rushing back down after it shuts off, (maybe because of the bend in the pipe?) makes the whole structure whack back. I am not sure about the white coupling, or its purpose.

Any insight or advice? Should I call the number on the downpipe and ask him to warranty it? It has maybe been about 3 years...

thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• DSC00595.jpg
    DSC00595.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00597.jpg
    DSC00597.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00598.jpg
    DSC00598.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 215

hondaloyal

Reaction score
well, I did a little research, ordered a new part, and the pipe no longer bangs! Should someone else have the same issue I thought I would explain the solution. Well, see the picture for the solution :) $30 for the noise free valve and $35 for shipping; (I couldn't find this valve anywhere in Canada). I called the fellow who put the old one in; 33 years of plumbing experience and he was not aware of a "quiet" valve. I installed it myself.

Attachments

• DSC00607.JPG
    DSC00607.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00608.JPG
    DSC00608.JPG
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks