Banging Noise - Upstairs Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

BBdude

Reaction score
Hi All - Searched the forum and saw some similar issues as mine, but no clear cut solutions. Hoping I can DIY this, but am certainly not the most handy so pardon my ignorance!

We have a shower in our two-story home and the pipes shake loudly throughout the home when we turn on hot water (doesn't happen w/ cold water). No other showers, toilers, or faucets have an issue. We've been in the home six (6) months and it's been doing it since we moved in.

The banging/shaking sounds seem to come from somewhere down the line from the shower, not immediately near the shower. My access is limited only to the shower valve and I assume, if I took it off, I may have access to a shut off of some sort.

Thoughts on remediating the issue? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to shut off the water and remove the cold stem. It probably has a regular washer that is loose or badly worn and needs to be changed. Normally, that means the seat also needs to be replaced.

BBdude

Reaction score
You need to shut off the water and remove the cold stem. It probably has a regular washer that is loose or badly worn and needs to be changed. Normally, that means the seat also needs to be replaced.

Thank you, Mr Tee. Today, there is no cold or warm water valves it's just one valve. I assume if I was to remove it there would a cold and warm stem behind it, much like my kitchen faucet (which only has one valve).

How does the cold water stem cause the shaking when the water gets hot? Just asking to understand how things work. Thanks!

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
From your description I thought you had a 2 handle valve and gave a general answer. For a single valve it could be different things depending on what you have. A picture might help.

BBdude

Reaction score
This might not be the photo you were looking for, but here's what I have. I have no other access without opening walls. I suppose I can take off the valve and see what I'm working with ... maybe that's what you were asking for?

1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks