Ball stuck in furnace exhaust pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

ballinpipe

Reaction score
So this be a weird one. My friend’s 2 year old was visiting and while we were on our rooftop deck, he went over to the furnace exhaust pipe and dropped a tennis ball in. The pipe is 3 inch PVC. It has a small bend just as it heads under the roof, and then seems to go straight down past that. I’m unable to see the ball. I have tried to use a household vacuum attached to a 24 foot hose but am having no luck. I’m somewhat confident I get a hold of the ball but then at that last bend I lose suction. On the furnace side of things (which is located on the first floor), there is a 2 inch PVC pipe that heads into the ceiling. I believe the 2 inch pipe is too small to accommodate the tennis ball, so I feel it is somewhere above in that 3 inch pipe. Any thoughts on how to tackle this? Thanks

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You can probably get it out with a drain clearing snake. Use one that has barb spring on the end. The barb will either penetrate the ball (which would be easy-fishin' ) or it'll auger on by it, but it's fat enough that once it's by the ball you'd likely be able to pull slowly and still get it out. A tennis ball is 2.7" in diameter and a 3" pipe, so you have roughly the cable diameter's clearance. It'll be a friction pull, but it should make it.

ridgid-plumbing-snakes-augers-57038-64_1000.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can open the 2 inch line, maybe blow with an electric leaf blower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks