Balancing in floor radiant

Users who are viewing this thread

Gips

Reaction score
We have a chalet style house in Minnesota where the front 2/3 of the house is open 2 stories plus and the back third has 8' ceiling and loft above. House is 27' wide and 40' front to back. Bought it a few years ago and don't know who did the work. It has in floor radiant heat and the open front area is always 4-6 degrees colder than the back area. The thermostat is in the back. We want to even out the temperatures. Boiler is located in the center of the back 1/3 and it has a Wirsbo old style manifold with six tubing runs. I don't have any idea what run goes where. The lengths are 231, 221, 200, 230, 168, and 189. How can I identify which runs go where so we can adjust flows or even break it into two zones?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toy identify them by the return temp. A longer run will give more heat and come back colder. As long as tout have equal flow across them and equal temp, the longer runs will come back cooler.

Gips

Reaction score
Toy identify them by the return temp. A longer run will give more heat and come back colder. As long as tout have equal flow across them and equal temp, the longer runs will come back cooler.
Thanks, John,
The installer marked the lengths for each run, I just need to find out which runs go to which part of the floor.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Tubing in cement slab or under plywood subfloor? Just valve off one off at a time a slab might take 12 hours to cool down. Measure supply and return temps per loop write them down anything less the 15*f close the valve a little. More loops are design for 20*f. Use baby steps and wait a few hours before making another change. Take notes.

Gips

Reaction score
Tubing in cement slab or under plywood subfloor? Just valve off one off at a time a slab might take 12 hours to cool down. Measure supply and return temps per loop write them down anything less the 15*f close the valve a little. More loops are design for 20*f. Use baby steps and wait a few hours before making another change. Take notes.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a FLIR camera that attaches to my phones USB port that comes in really handy for finding heat runs. I can see exactly where they are. Sometimes we have to cool the floor down and turn the system back on to see a real deliniation between lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks