Baffling Pressure Switch Failures

Users who are viewing this thread

KyleTibby

Reaction score
For the past few years I've been living in this house I had to change the pressure switch more commonly than normal. We have bought a new pump, a new tank, and most notably the switch. I've had professionals install everything.
I considered it normal until recently when I was told pressure switches shouldn't go bad every 3-4 months. I tested the pressure in the tank and that was at 28psi, which is expected. The voltage to the pump is at 120ac. Upon further inspection I watch as the switch turns on, and most of the time it sparks and makes contact, occasionally bounces on and off; and sometimes it will trigger and do nothing, contact is made but doesn't switch on. Is it that I may have had a bad series of switches (doubt it) or is there something else wrong?
  • Utilitech 36 Gallon Vertical Pressure Tank, 2-3 years old
  • Gould's J7s 3/4hp water pump, 2-3 years old
  • 30-50 Square D pressure switch, 1-2 months old

TL;DR Pressure switch fails every 2-4 months

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 36 gallon size tank only holds about 8 gallons of water. If you are running sprinklers or anything for long periods of time the pump is cycling on and off for every 8 gallon used, which is a lot. Pressure switch points are usually burned from cycling too much. If that is the case a Cycle Stop Valve will solve your problem.

But having said that, I have been having problems with the Square D brand switches. A few years ago we switched to the Merrill brand switch, and with thousands out, we have not had a problem.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second what Cary said about the SQ D pressure switches. They changed something awhile back and made the quality much lower. If you can, swapping your pump to 230V will definitely help. We have noticed that anything running on 110V (twice the amps) has a short life on the switches.

I tried the Merrill awhile back and didn't like them but maybe they've improved. I had a bunch fail premature although the one I have on my personal well is still going strong.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/rash-of-bad-square-d-presure-switches.69341/

TVL

Reaction score
So, what is the general agreement on the best or most reliable pressure switch nowadays?

I originally had a Square D that was used for approximately 34 years and then replaced with another Square D. The replacement lasted about 2 years and I want to purchase another reliable switch like I had originally! Surely someone offers a good reliable switch .............. its just not Square D.

KyleTibby

Reaction score
I appreciate the support, my course of action will be to install a cycle stop valve. Which I haven't heard of until today. We do use a tremendous amount of water when it comes to a dishwasher, shower, washing machine, ice makers, the works. It would provide a great alternative to buying new switches every few months. And I'll leave an update on the new setup. Thank you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I agree with Texas.
Change the motor To 220 volt. Your motor does have the option for 110 or 230. It Is sometimes just removing a jumper wire at the connection provided if you can easily wire in 220v. It's current that wears down the contacts. At 220v motor draws 1/2 the current than at 110v and at 220 v an ac motor will run more efficiently.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you use a 120VAC pump, I would use both sides of the pressure switch. Now how do I use both sides? The usual thing would be to put the two pairs of contacts in parallel. That way, they could share the load, or the one that was still working best would carry the load.

Attachments

• img_5.png
    img_5.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 13,778

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Splitting the load like Reach said is a good idea. You can also use a GHG2, which is a heavier duty switch made for up to 3HP load in 220V. I haven't had any problems with the GHG2 from Square D.

Matthew m.Wayer

Reaction score
If the setup is outside it could be ant's.
They get under the cover,crawl between the open contacts,and cook like a bug zapper.
This in turn burns the points out quickly.
I dealt with this issue on and off for years.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hi Matthew. Thanks for the tip. But the OP is in Maryland. I doubt he has an ant problem like Florida and south Texas. I discovered a few years ago that if you put one of those medicated ear tags for cattle (tractor supply) in the pressure switch, it will keep the ants out. I put one in all my outside breaker boxes as well. Just have to remember to put in a fresh one about once a year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks