Users who are viewing this thread

Rodsgal

Reaction score
A few years ago we added onto our house. The addition now sits on part of what was the backyard. The sewer clean out pipe is now covered by the addition, but it was capped off and relocated by a professional plumber.
Each fall when the temperatures begin to drop a bad smell comes from that area. When I get on my hands and knees and sniff, I cannot pinpoint where the smell is coming from, as in, it’s not specifically coming from the capped off dead sewer pipe.The smell is only located in that room and does not effect the rest of the house. But the smell is bad, like a stagnant fart smell. When the weather warms up again, the smell vanishes.

I will take any help I can get here! I keep a clean home and enjoy having a fresh smelling home, so this is both embarrassing and frustrating!! If anyone had an idea of what is causing it and especially how it can be fixed, I would be so grateful!

GL77

Reaction score
Is there a crawlspace underneath? Could you doublecheck how the pipe was capped off and whether there is a smell in there? I don't know why fall would bring on a change unless maybe rains lead to water under the house?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Have your vent terminal checked as it maybe partially blocked with leaves possibly

TIP JAR for Saint Jude's or the Shriners Burn center

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks