Bad smell from toilet area

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
New bathrom is less than one and a half years old with all new fixtures. Bad decomposition/sewer gas smell started 2 days ago from toilet area. Crawl space beneath has no bad odor nor does the attic above, so I think it has to be the toilet wax seal, but why would that fail so soon? I've seen them last for decades. Toilet works fine but the smell is stinking up the house so I need to fix it fast as my wife is on my case bad.

Any help sure is appreciated as I can't think of any other possibilities than a failed seal. I plan to take the toilet off tomorrow to see but don't know what to do if that is not the problem. Toilet is a TOTO and of course the floor attachment on those is a pain to access. Wouldn't you just know it?

Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the toilet rock at all? Does it have the unifit adapter?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
And are we certain it is the wc¿ There was a thread laying around here recently along these same lines, turns out it was the shower.

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Dead rat in wall

Exhausted all possibilities myself and called a plumber. He could find nothing wrong with anything mechanical but said he had seen this situation before with no smell in the basement or attic, no pipe leaks or sign of any leakage underneath, no pipe cracks or loose connection, no dampness, wax seal is fine...nothing.

As the smell is diminishing, he thinks it is due to a rat getting beween the walls and dying. Has had this happen in his own house plus many others. He said rats can get through holes the size of a quarter!

So, it's not always plumbing causing the bad smells. I said I would seal every hole with foam, and he said they eat that too! Use steel wool instead.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks