Bad contractor

Users who are viewing this thread

Lora Williams

Reaction score
I have a plumbing issue I need some assistance on. I had my bathroom remodeled last summer. My house is 100 yrs old and the gentleman that redid my plumbing has done something seriously wrong I believe. I’ve never had an issue with my plumbing and I’d guess most was original when they added plumbing to it. There are only four things going into my main stack. My bathroom fixtures have only been moved by a few feet. The main stack goes right through the bathroom.
He cut the cast iron halfway to the basement floor and started there. Rubber booted it. Now when I flush the toilet there is a loud pressure sound coming from floor drain in basement, which is about 5 feet from main stack. I keep getting sewer gas smell from different areas. Sometimes if I run a little water in kitchen sink my whole upstairs will stink. Sometimes it’s coming from the basement. Sometimes it’s both when I walk in the door. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 03961E84-173D-4F6C-B6B0-831F1958E058.jpeg
    03961E84-173D-4F6C-B6B0-831F1958E058.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 252

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a horizontal pipe tying into the pipe that comes down from the toilet. Does this go to the kitchen sink, and if so, is it vented?

Lora Williams

Reaction score
IF it is a plumbing piping problem it is the piping UPSTAIRS, not the pipes in the basement which you photographed.
There are no pipes upstairs except for the sink traps. This is it. Everything sits right above this floor.

Lora Williams

Reaction score
The top pipe on the left is kitchen sink which is vented out the roof. The bottom left is bathtub. Only vents I have is the main and the kitchen sink. I thought maybe having the toilet directly across from the kitchen sink is causing pressure problems. The sounds I hear are large amounts of air movement.

Stuff

Reaction score
You need to get a real plumber on site to review the entire system (not one you see advertise on TV). You should be able to get a few to come out to give an estimate.

Lora Williams

Reaction score
Thank you. I figured that. I was just trying to wrap my head around it, because it’s almost identical to the original and now I have so many problems.

Stuff

Reaction score
Guess of things that need fixed. Probably others.
  1. Change flexible rubber coupling to shielded no hub coupling (Furnco® or similar). You can see that it is already shifting to the right.
  2. Add AAV to bathroom sink if allowed. If not - worst case add vent through roof.
  3. Re-do tub drain. Lower trap so trap arm is horizontal to tie in to main stack

Reach4

Reaction score
Change flexible rubber coupling to shielded no hub coupling (Furnco® or similar). You can see that it is already shifting to the right.
I wonder if you can take the shield/band off of a banded coupling, and wrap that around an existing non-shielded coupling.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the toilet going from 4" down to 3" and back to 4"?
Some of the newer toilets flush with more force than before. That could be some of the noise you're getting. And that you have plastic and not cast which soaks up sound.
Like mentioned before, the lav and kitchen sink should be vented, and so should the floor drain.

Lora Williams

Reaction score
So I kinda need to have it cut off at the floor Soand all redoneso
Guess of things that need fixed. Probably others.
  1. Change flexible rubber coupling to shielded no hub coupling (Furnco® or similar). You can see that it is already shifting to the right.
  2. Add AAV to bathroom sink if allowed. If not - worst case add vent through roof.
  3. Re-do tub drain. Lower trap so trap arm is horizontal to tie in to main stack
so
post: 538797, member: 56291"]Guess of things that need fixed. Probably others.
[/QUOTE]
soso
Is the toilet going from 4" down to 3" and back to 4"?
Some of the newer toilets flush with more force than before. That could be some of the noise you're getting. And that you have plastic and not cast which soaks up sound.
Like mentioned before, the lav and kitchen sink should be vented, and so should the floor drain.
They are the same size. The noise sounds like it’s going to blow up my basement floor. I’ve never had anything vented except the main before. Never have I had a problem with any drains or any smell in 30 years. The only difference is now the bathroom sink is tied into the toilet, where before it was the kitchen sink. Before the bathroom sink and tub were together. The toilet was 3 feet farther away, it was a 90 and it was above the other on the main. It’s so loud I’m afraid the pressure problem has caused a problem with floor drain. That’s where the sound comes from. Yes it is a lower water higher presssure toilet. I hear suction coming from other pipes. Heck, maybe the pressure is so bad it sucks the water from traps and that’s where the smell is coming from. Only because it’s coming from different places all the time. And another symptom, some water came up the floor drain a week ago. Probably 2 gallons. Never happened before.

Lora Williams

Reaction score
Thank you guys. My concerns were the toilet being on top of stack. The 90 from the toilet, and the toilet going into the stack at the same height as the kitchen sink. Venting? Wow can’t imagine the cost associated with that and how you vent a floor drain from the early 1900’s. It’s just so frustrating to spend all that money and my plumbing worked fine and now not so much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks