Backwashed Katalox with DLFC removed. Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
907A91A2-6824-4BD8-A9EE-94CFD54EBE8F.jpeg
Ok I was planning to upgrade my DLFC from 7 to 8 on my 10x54 Vortech tank with 2510sxt. My well water is 77 degrees.

For the hell of it I decided to see what happens on max flow. I removed the DLFC button and watched to see if I lost media.
Well, no media was lost and a shit ton of very fine sand came out initially. See below photo. I think it got past my 50micron spin down because there was a piece of dried pvc glue trapped between the wall and the filter. I cleared that as well.

Anyway. I measured the flow without the DLFC. My flow measured out to be 12.5 gallons per minute. So a few questions here.

Based on the fact that KL need max BW before losing media. Can I just leave out the DLFC permanently?

If I keep it out. Is a 15 minute backwash still needed? Or can I be safe and drop it to 10 minutes?

BTW. I do a nightly BW.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Nice! Good find on the 50 micron filter!

My problem with removing the DLFC is what happens if your water drops to 60F? You could start blowing media out the top of the tank. Yes to reducing the tie to 10 minutes with higher backwash rate... I like the way you are trying different ideas!

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Nice! Good find on the 50 micron filter!

My problem with removing the DLFC is what happens if your water drops to 60F? You could start blowing media out the top of the tank. Yes to reducing the tie to 10 minutes with higher backwash rate... I like the way you are trying different ideas!
Thanks. I love this forum. Teach a man to fish. :)

I live in south florida. Not sure my well water ever hits 60. But to be safe. I should set a monthly reminder to check the temps.
I am trying the 7gpm dlfc I pull out in my carbon tank now. There was a 5 before.

So I just got done with the Carbon 7gpm backwash. Other than a few fines for first minute or 2. It ran clean the rest of the BW.
Also the BW water smelled perfect!! That means 7gpm flowing through the Katalox and during BW on Carbon. There is zero H2S. I think I may have slayed this dragon.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks