Backwash Filtration System

Users who are viewing this thread

sparker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a multimedia backwash filter to treat colloidal clay in a private well? I installed a ge last march but I have to replace the filter (25 micron) every three weeks. Thanks

sparker

Reaction score
When I draw from a tap the water comes out cloudy with a slight orangish hue, settling after about 4-5 min. Last year I had the water tested. Findings included presence of iron, sediments, a pH slightly on the acidic side. Toilet tanks are stained orange, as well as the inside of my dishwasher. If shower stalls aren't cleaned weekly they stain as well. We noticed this our first night in the house, despite the previous owner not disclosing these problems. Well was constructed in 2001. Six inch casing at a depth of 200 ft. So I assumed about 170 ft of water somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 gal. About a month ago I shocked using 2 gal of bleach, but that hasn't seemed to help much. Thanks for your input.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to get a potability test from a local certified lab. Once you get the results you should post them and that way you can get suggestions on how to properly treat your water. Take the sample before any water filters so get a raw water analysis.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Anyone that does iron, pH and hardness tests is good enough accuracy. There is no reason to spend a bunch of money to a certified lab. Pump and plumbing supply houses, Sears, county extension offices etc. will usually do these tests for a few bucks or free.

Or buy a test kit and do them yourself.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
yeah forget everything else in a potability test. God what was i thinking? Coliform, ecol i,nitrates,turbidity,sodium,manganese,tds, etc. Screw all of that! especially the nitrates! I just hope the guy doesn't have any new borns or younger children. But what does that matter? He's just a naive customer that has no clue about water treatment. Gary you need to keep in mind that people actually drink well water. God forbid someone gives these people good advice!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

sparker

Reaction score
Here's what I got:

Iron 3 PPM
Chlorine 0 PPM
PH 5
Hardness 50 PPM
Alkalinity 0
Copper 3 PPM
Nitrate 0 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM

I think the pH and copper are what concern me most.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You have extremely acidic water, high iron and copper. The copper will go away IF you treat the low pH unless you have copper tubing to or from the pressure tank and then to an acid neutralizing filter or solution filter.

If you use a backwashed sacrificial mineral AN filter, it will raise the pH and that will cause some of the iron to be oxidized and prevent the copper that is being added to your water now and also add a fair amount of hardness to the water. So you probably would want a water softener.

If you used a solution feeder, the water may be not so 'nice' because of having to use so much soda ash. And IMO solution feeders are a PIA and require a lot of baby sitting and tend to never really work well; especially for pH control.

sparker

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I've been researching a few softeners. Is there a particular brand you would recommend?

In all likelihood it will have to be installed in the attic, near the water heater, as there is only about 24" of clearance in the crawl space. Thanks for the input!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks