Backwash filter

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by pmfleisch, Jun 7, 2018.

1. pmfleisch

pmfleisch New Member

Hello,

I'm looking to solve a sediment clogging the whole house filter situation. We've got a lot of brownish rust sediment that blocks up our 10" x 4.5" whole house water filter. When it dries it's a fine rusty powder. We have a softener down the line and use RO for our drinking water, so overall water quality is not an issue. I tried not using the whole house filter for a while and we were getting brown stains on shower curtains etc. I was thinking of installing a unit that has a self cleaning mechanism - one of those filter canisters that has a drain on it where it runs the water the other way through the filter and drains the dirty water. I'm trying to save some money which I realize is usually a bad idea. Just checking to see if it's worth checking that option before going to a full sized backwash filter.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That rust you see is ferric iron. Wells often have iron that you don't see -- ferrous iron. Presuming you have that too, you would be best served by a backwashing filter that handles both kinds of iron. If you search, you will see references in the softener forum (which serves as a water treatment forum) to "Katalox Light". This is a popular medium that deals with iron and filters down to about 5 microns. The filter backwashes about every 3 days (settable depending on the need).

Spend the money. This is money better spent than a lot of other purchases that people make.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. pmfleisch

pmfleisch New Member

Ok, thanks. I'll head over there for more info.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do you mean you will use the search box?