Backwash cycle timings

Users who are viewing this thread

sm30

Reaction score
How would you determined/calculate what your Backwash cycle timings should be set at?

Firstly thanks @Bannerman @Reach4 and @ditttohead for helping with my initial setup.

Below are my settings. My BW settings below were never changed and were the default settings.

System:
1.5 cu.ft. catalytic carbon 9"x48" tank (free flow) – installed in front of the softener
1 cu.ft. 32,000 grain 9"x48" (Clack WS EA valve)

Current system settings:

Hardness: 10 gpg
Regen time: Volume based
Capacity: 24,000 grains
Salt Dose: 8lbs

Brining Direction: dn
Refill brine setting: PoST
First wash cycle (backwash) : 3 min
Second wash cycle (brine dn): 60 min
Third wash cycle (backwash): 3 min
Fourth wash cycle (rinse): 8 min

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If your water is relatively clean, the backwash times are not that critical. I would recommend a 6 minute first backwash. The second backwash can be 2-3 minutes. No need to overthink it, it is not that critical.

sm30

Reaction score
If your water is relatively clean, the backwash times are not that critical. I would recommend a 6 minute first backwash. The second backwash can be 2-3 minutes. No need to overthink it, it is not that critical.

When you say second backwash, you mean third wash cycle in my settings correct?

Can the fourth wash cycle (rinse) be reduced without affecting/compromising water quality? Or leave it at 8min?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Yes, the 2nd BW is your 3rd cycle.

The 4th cycle (Rinse = Rapid Rinse) is utilized to repack the loose resin at the conclusion of the regeneration cycle. This is not a critical function in terms of water quality so the time setting is often reduced to 5-minutes with no negative consequences.

Each BW and Rapid Rinse flow rate will be controlled by the drain line restrictor that is installed. For a 9" softener, the flow rate to drain will be typically 2.0 gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks