Backup sump pump to laundry standpipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

saltman

Reaction score
New here and yes I know this question will make some of the pros cringe, but I am curious about the use of a wye vs tee on a 2” standpipe. I am going to connect a Liberty sump jet to a 30” standpipe (connected to a 3” vertical 12” away) and want to know if you would use a tee or wye? I know in some areas you can plumb an non-trapped laundry basin tub in this manor with a tee, but given this is a pump my thought was a wye w/45 might promote better flow. Please keep in mind this will probably never be used and is for emergency purposes only and the occasional test, thank you for any and all advice.

Last edited:

saltman

Reaction score
For reference, sump jet would take the place of laundry tub

index.php

Reach4

Reaction score
New here and yes I know this question will make some of the pros cringe, but I am curious about the use of a wye vs tee on a 2” standpipe. I am going to connect a Liberty sump jet to a vertical 30” standpipe (connected to a 3” vertical 12” away) and want to know if you would use a tee or wye? I know in some areas you can plumb an non-trapped laundry basin tub in this manor with a tee, but given this is a pump my thought was a wye w/45 might promote better flow. Please keep in mind this will probably never be used and is for emergency purposes only and the occasional test, thank you for any and all advice.
I think a wye would be much better than a tee for that. I am not a plumber and I am not saying that what you propose would be approved. I definitely would not use a tee.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the wye is fine and prefered. even for the laundry tub I see no reason a wye and a 45 couldnt be used.
I think there could be a code issue here but for emergency or temporary use see no problem be sure a 2 inch can handle the volume

saltman

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I know this would probably never meet code, but in this case I just need it to function when the inevitable does happen and I lose power. Since I don’t have a floor drain next to the pit like a lot of homes in my area this is my “water powered” version of that. My thought was with a wye there would be less chance of the washer gray water making it over to the sump line and since it’s a pump I think the rule of thumb never using a wye on a vertical doesn’t apply here and also helps facilitate better flow direction into the trap. I’ve done the math and the 2” should be just enough to handle it, I will definitely do a test to visually observe how it does.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the rule of thumb never using a wye on a vertical doesn’t apply here
I never heard of that before. It does not sound right at all.

What you would hear is don't use a wye when a santee is needed to vent a non-toilet trap arm.

saltman

Reaction score
I never heard of that before. It does not sound right at all.

What you would hear is don't use a wye when a santee is needed to vent a non-toilet trap arm.
You are correct, I should have clarified the above where venting was required. I have a feeling if I actually was doing a laundry basin the thing would drain terrible with the use of the wye

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are correct, I should have clarified the above where venting was required. I have a feeling if I actually was doing a laundry basin the thing would drain terrible with the use of the wye
ok great we arent plumbing a sink. Id recomend using a wye for your project

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks