Backup Sump Pump (battery)

Users who are viewing this thread

fjacky32

Reaction score
Hopefully this is my last question.

I have 'tweaked' my set up and it's a little cleaner in the pit. But for my 12V battery backup, I can't get the float set up properly. It's either it's too high and the water rises more than I want, or the float is too low and the pump runs and keeps running even when the water level is below it. So my question is... will it wreck the 12V pump if it runs and it's not pumping water up/out, or will it burn the motor out? I have been told yes it will burn it out, and I've been told nah, don't worry about it.

Thoughts?

fjacky32

Reaction score
To add to my previous post......

Are the 12V battery backup pumps supposed to be completely submerged under water? Or is the wiring part supposed to be out of the water?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The pump is suppose to be water tight, especially where the wire goes into the pump. It is a totaly submersible pump

juandigital

Reaction score
Website
www.12vsumppump.net
You can add multiple batteries and you arnt being paranoid. Just connect them in parallel, Its also adviseable to use the same type battery, ie deep cycle with deepcycle. I have two connected to my 12v sump pump because I have a nice basement bar. Cheers,

juandigital

Reaction score
Website
www.12vsumppump.net
I know my basementwatch dog 12 sump pump runs dry a few seconds each time the backup kicks on. The manufacturer states that this is normal and will not damage the motor. I think it would have to be running for a very long time before you had a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks