Backup for indirect water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have an alpine ALP 105 heating indirect water heater tank. This boiler is proving to be very unreliable, it worked great for first 2 years but now breaking down almost every now and then. Whenever it break down it, it's very tough to go without showers. It takes days to get some tech or parts to fix it. I am fed up with this, I am considering having a backup electric or gas water heater installed. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I can think of few options-

1. Remove indirect water heater tank completely and go with regular hot water heater. Since the boiler will be used only in winter instead of all year around, will it reduce regular wear and tear and frequent breakdowns?

2. Add new heater in series with current system, if for some reason indirect does not work, the regular with heat water automatically? Is it even possible?

3. same as 2 above except instead of series, have it connected in parallel, either use indirect or regular? switch between them using some kind of valve.

My primary aim is to have reliable hot water source, and not to be at mercy of these technicians. The company which installed my boiler want to charge me $250 as just emergency dispatch fees, labor and parts extra. It's ridiculous.

Ki23

Reaction score
Nare,
Is there a way to get another company out to look at the installation? It's difficult to tell from your post but it may be an installation problem?

Ron Beck

Reaction score
Your boiler should not be breaking down and unreliable that ofter. Can you give me some history? I am very familiar with that product.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is failing on the system? Maybe post a picture of the system. Boilers tend to be pretty reliable. Without knowing what is failing, it's hard to say what or why it's happening, and what to propose.

Typically that type of boiler isn't a big energy hog when heating water. It cold starts just fine, and unlike a normal boiler that is maintaining some heat all of the time, this one can typically cool off to ambient when not in use. A good indirect is quite well insulated, and has only small standby losses, so no, switching to another source may not be more efficient nor will it have the recovery rate of a boiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks