Backflow Preventor or CheckValve Needed For Rain Barrel System?

Users who are viewing this thread

gcxboxps

Reaction score
I have a rain barrel system setup that has a transfer pump attached to the rain barrel that routes rain water through a PVC pipe to a spigot in my garden.
I also have another water connection coming from my home's outdoor city water spigot that is connected to the same water line as the rain barrel.

I also have 2 manual PVC shut off ball valves attached to the two water lines so that if I am pulling water from my rain barrel via the transfer pump, I will manually shut off the city water pvc ball valve, and vice versa if I am pulling water from the city water line.

Currently, on the city water spigot attached to my home, I have a vacuum breaker installed, however, after reading more online, I believe another component (i.e. Check Valve / Backflow Preventor) may be needed?

The goal here was that if my rain barrel was low on water, I could manually switch over and use my city water using the same spigot in my garden.

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Never ever connect potable and nonpotable water without a backflow preventer or double check valve. As Boycedrilling suggest you need to call your water department on what they will require.
114-950xlt2-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks