Backflow fitting needed? Is different metals acceptable?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Cygarbuff, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cygarbuff

Cygarbuff New Member

Auto Glass Installer
    Hi guys, I had disconnected my black flex irrigation pipe from my back flow preventer since I am on well water now for irrigation. Where I took the gray plastic fitting out I'm looking to put a boiler drain of some sort there. I can't find a drain that has the 1" male threads I need so the guy at Home Depot gave me a 3/4" brass boiler drain with a 1"-3/4" galvanized coupler. Can these two metals come in contact? I've read it will create corrosion issues but I can't find the coupler in brass. If the back flow is copper that brings the total to 3 different metal, can I expect any sort of reaction? Thanks

Jay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    They should have a brass 1 x 3/4 coupling, but you have to look in the brass fitting area. If not any good hardware will have one. Brass and copper are completely compatible.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cygarbuff

Cygarbuff New Member

Auto Glass Installer
    Thank you. I went to Lowes, Home Depot and True Value Hardware with no luck. I'm just going to go to a plumbing supply house Monday. Thanks for helping and confirming

5. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

If I was going to use it for irrigation I would not install a boiler drain with a screw on vacuum breaker. I like the poppet style vacuum breaker because the flow is not restricted. Something like a woodford 101 or similar would work.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_PDF/101Catalog.pdf

As HJ said above the brass fittings may be in a different area of the store than the boilers drains are located. Sometimes the store associates don’t know the store that well.
    http://www.homedepot.com/s/1x3/4+Brass?NCNI-5