Backer board for prefab shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I'm installing a Dreamline neoangle two piece corner shower surround (two acrylic/fiberglass panels that interlock in the corner) and will need backer board. I plan to use cement board instead of greenboard, but the acrylic surround should stop most direct moisture penetration, so its not quite the same as the prep for tile.
- Any recommendations on what type of backerboard (Hardie, Wonderboard, Durock, etc.)?
- How far should the cement board extend outside the acrylic surround before I switch over to greenboard for the walls?
- Any other suggestions/gotcha's I should know about this type of installation?

Thanks,

Bruce

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For all practical purposes, the surround is waterproof, and the stuff behind it is just there for support. In fact, many of them do not require any backer at all, and attach directly to the studs. SO, depends on what the instructions say for the one you have. As to above it and around the sides, regular drywall, properly painted is what most of them have. If you paint it well, and have proper ventilation for the room, regular drywall should be fine outside of the shower.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
The surround is definitely waterproof, and the instructions just say that it must be installed "over any solid surface," including the option to glue it onto an existing tile wall. However, since its going on an exterior wall in the basement I figured that water resistant backer would be a good idea.

I will have 1" XPS foam on the cement walls and the backer will be installed on a framed 2x4 wall in front the insulation. I will probably also install Roxul in the 2x4 wall cavities on the exterior walls to keep the shower area warmer when its being used.

Bruce

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any solid backer material then, would be sufficient. What you may have to be careful of is a stackup of vapor barriers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks