Backed up drain (condensate?) line still after using shop vac

Users who are viewing this thread

billy999

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehouse.gov
Hi guys, I could sure use some advice. Let me start from the beginning...

Last week we noticed the air conditioning couldn't keep up with the FL temps. It would run the whole day and yet the thermostat kept rising.

Our AC guy comes out and says it's algae growing on the interior fins and it needs cleaning and he recommends UV light. We go ahead with the cleaning and decline the UV light (because we're moving out next month). Everything seems great and it's running much more efficiently and not running constantly.

The next day we have a leak with the PVC drain line. I don't know if the condensate and the drain line are the same thing, but it's where it drains outside of my home after the float switch. Where the arrow is on the attached picture shows where it was leaking from. So I rang up the AC guy and he came out and replaced all of that pipe and the float with a newer float for $20.

The next day we notice it's warm in the house and that the outdoor unit is not running. We see that the float is triggered so we remove the float and shop vac the drain outside the house. We got A LOT of liquid. So we pour some bleach down and figure we're good to go. Well the line isn't clear. We keep draining the line, both from inside and outside with the shop vac. We're currently getting 2.5 cups of liquid every hour from the drain with the shop vac.

So I have a small tote underneath and a towel to hopefully catch any overflow and direct it into the tote while we sleep tonight and be able to keep the AC running.

I've put a call into the AC guy, but I'm looking for any advice you can offer in this situation. Do you think the line is still clogged? Is it normal for the system to produce 2.5 cups an hour for the drain?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20150828_073235.jpg
    IMG_20150828_073235.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5,197
  • currently.jpg
    currently.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,108

JerryR

Reaction score
Sounds like after flushing the coils the gunk from the coils is stuffing up the drain line.

The best way to clear it is to hook up a wet vac on the pipe where it exits the house and remove the float and slowly pore water into the pipe where the float was. That should flush out the crud. It may take a few quarts of water sucked through to totally clear the line.

You will be surprised how much crud may be in the pipe.

After that the drain line will not drip until the trap is full.

billy999

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehouse.gov
Thanks for the replies!

So the tech thinks since it's got suction when I use the shop vac, that the line is clear. He thinks his new PVC job is bad and that the water backs up and doesn't actually drain. I'm also having lots of dripping into the return and I'm guessing that the coils are full of drain water causing them to drip down into the return cavity.

So he's going to re-plumb the drain, but make it go down with gravity below the unit and just totally re-do the PVC. I was thinking we could tie into the sink drain nearby (5" away), but he said that's illegal. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20150831_213847 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20150831_213847 - Copy.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_20150831_213838 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20150831_213838 - Copy.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_20150831_213828 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20150831_213828 - Copy.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 940

billy999

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehouse.gov
Well guys, the AC tech came over for 2-hours today and we didn't really get far.

We put water from the hose down the line and it all comes out completely at the other end of the drain. No debris or algae, just clear water. The AC tech sorta thinks there may still be a blockage somewhere with a leak. We're in a 2nd story condo. He's coming back Thursday with lime away to see if that helps clear out the line.

The current setup is shown in the attached picture. We currently have the handler drain going to a p-trap, then draining into a bucket until we can get this figured out.

In the 2nd picture, you can see where the existing drain comes down into the return and goes down to... my neighbor (through the concrete floor) and eventually out the building near the ground.

So since it works 100% now in this temporary drain in the 5-gallon bucket with no float switch setup, don't you think it would work if we just tie back into the drain, but further down so it has a steeper angle (and more gravity)?

Is there any other way to check for blockage? I've already alerted the downstairs neighbor to watch for wet floor/ceiling with all of the blasting we did down the drain today.

Attachments

• currently090115.jpg
    currently090115.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,156
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:

billy999

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehouse.gov
SOLVED! He just didn't do a p-trap and now it drains fine. He thinks there is another p-trap somewhere else. It's draining outside and everything works, so I'm happy.

Thanks Reach4 and JerryR for your replies!

Attachments

• final090315.jpg
    final090315.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,446
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks