Back to back toilets in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy2019

Reaction score
Hi folks

We are planning to develop our basement this summer to add two bathrooms back to back with a shower stall, a toilet and a sink in each bathroom. I grabbed a few fittings yesterday at Home Depot to see how I would connect two toilets and this is what I come up with - see the attached picture. The double wye will be horizontal under the slab, the toilets will be farther away from each other than they are at the picture right now. I just connected everything as-is for the demonstration purposes. Will this work in my situation? I haven't thought about the rest of the fixtures and their connections at this point. Will appreciate any advice.

Cheers!
IMG_4746.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is a good chance that when you flush either toilet, it will affect the water in the other one due to the venturi effect caused by the water flowing past the other's connection point. A vent before, or after, the double Y will NOT prevent the problem.

Andy2019

Reaction score
There is a good chance that when you flush either toilet, it will affect the water in the other one due to the venturi effect caused by the water flowing past the other's connection point. A vent before, or after, the double Y will NOT prevent the problem.
Thanks for the feedback!
Is there a way to avoid this problem? I am in the planning phase right now, so I can move toilets to their optimal position. What would you suggest?

Andy2019

Reaction score
What else is there? This drawing is pretty basic and the 90 bends should have been drain with 45's in many cases.

Instead of the bathtubs I am planning to have two shower stalls, then two toilets and two sinks at the end.

I was also wondering how the plumbing diagram would change if I wanted to add washer/dryer in one of the bathrooms?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Instead of the bathtubs I am planning to have two shower stalls, then two toilets and two sinks at the end.

I was also wondering how the plumbing diagram would change if I wanted to add washer/dryer in one of the bathrooms?

The laundry should be ran separately and tied in downstream of the bath group.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks