Back to Back Toilets: Double Fixture vs Double Wye

Users who are viewing this thread

SoConfused

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne! Yeah, I can't think of many people who would tackle that project with me just out of the kindness of their heart. She and her husband are the ones who got down there with me and tore out the cast iron. Can't put a price on friends like that.

I'm glad you mostly approve of our work. :)

I can certainly add more straps. I noticed the dip in the upstream end just at the coupling. I tried to get it adjusted but didn't quite nail it. That was about 11 hours into the project so I'll take a fresh look when I go back down. Getting the proper fall on the 2 inch line was also more challenging than I anticipated but we did finally get it.

I see what you're saying about using the shielded coupling on the vent pipe. One question about changing that fitting. I know I have a small space between the vent pipe and PVC because I had to adjust it down a smidge to meet the lower connection. Since that is just a vent connection, would it be reasonable to cut the rubber gasket then wrap the shield around it instead of cutting the pipe and using two of them?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On your last question, I'm too much of an amateur to bless or not bless that work-around. Rather than cut the gasket, though, you'd be better off just getting the shield and 2 additional clamps from the a shielded rubber coupling, and install them around the central exposed portion of your current (underground only) rubber coupling.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This looks way better than what you started with.
On the rubber Fernco on the vent, if everything is supported well, at this point I would be inclined to leave it.
You have changed so much for the better there. And friends, what can I say. Very good friends for sure. :)

SoConfused

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I appreciate the help and the forum. I know I've only scratched the surface but I've sure learned more about plumbing than I ever imagined I would need to know. :)

SoConfused

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4! Yes that coupler is a little off. It actually seems like the pipe in the left side of the coupler isn't lining up with the pipe in the right side. I plan to get down there and take another look to see if I can get that straightened out. Hopefully it's as simple as another strap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks