Back to back sink drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Used to rough in a lav at 18 back when counters in bathroom were 30 inch high I was doing 22 if they were high counters and they were always plenty low enough.
12 or 13 was my kitchens and these were guesses I kinda hate the p trap so low but damned if I'm getting burned by having to bust wall open and lower the trap arm.
Today I push a little harder for answers from builder or owner on the particular info needed but we had to many jobs to be holding hands and waiting for answers

Ridgerunner66

Reaction score
I'm not up on the latest recommendations for sink stub out heights, I think it might be more like 18-20" for the vanity and 12"-16" for the kitchen sink. There are threads here on that.

On the dry vents, any horizontal segment needs to be 6" above the flood rim of the fixture(s), as should any joining of dry vents.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks, Wayne, I appreciate your time and input... I set mine at 18 for the vanity.

Ridgerunner66

Reaction score
After talking to a contractor buddy who isn't a plumber, we came up with this configuration. I would like to put an air admittance valve on top of the vent to avoid going through the roof. Any thing missing or incorrect?

Thanks!

IMG_20220701_193742181_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220701_193812177_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally going from vertical to horizontal the inspector wants a long turn 90.
That could have also been done with a wye and a 45. The less changes of direction the better, and the longer sweep going from vertical to horizontal the better.

single_to_double_lav.jpg

This was a conversion of a single to a double that only had 1.5"
Two lavs by code need 2", so it would be a 2x1.5 wye at the low end there.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks