Back flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

Vtxrider

Reaction score
I want to back flush my hot water line. I got some blockage near my shower valve so I think. Whole other story. I don't have a floor drain or any drain where the tank is. To drain the tank I would fill buckets and then throw it out the bulkhead. Instead of keep filling and empty buckets I thought of either connecting a hose to the drain and running out the bulkhead or connecting a hose to the hot water corrugated line and out the bulkhead. I prefer the corrugated line to avoid dumping any sediment in the new tank. Any for potential problems doing this?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
There are small pumps that we use for draining water heaters. The pumps have hose ends and one end connects to the WH and the flow from the pump goes wherever you have a hose long enough to go.
Minuscule amount of sediment that ends up in the tank is insignificant.
My experience with backflushing old galv. piping is that it works to dislodge a particle, maybe and then next clog is imminent.

Vtxrider

Reaction score
Bulkhead? The wall?
They way out of the cellar to go up to ground level. Walk up the stairs, open the two and there you are.
Bulkhead? The wall?

Basement-Door-Classic-Bilco.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vtxrider

Reaction score
There are small pumps that we use for draining water heaters. The pumps have hose ends and one end connects to the WH and the flow from the pump goes wherever you have a hose long enough to go.
My experience with backflushing old galv. piping is that it works to dislodge a particle, maybe and then next clog is imminent.

I was thinking of ether running the hose out the cellar window or out the bulkhead door. Both are well below the floor where the tank is. I'd like to use the house water pressure to blast what ever is stuck out. I can see the water and its flow this way. I did flush going into the tub but still the same, maybe slightly better. Basic problem is luke warm shower/tub water. New valve but low hot water pressure. Just wondering if doing what I posted would work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. I was unfamiliar with the term in that context. https://www.bilco.com/SCResult/Basement-Bulkhead-Doors-3344

I think you are saying that you think the hot path to your shower is clogged, and you want to run water backwards to flush out deposits.

You could bridge the connection between hot and cold around the shower valve if you have flex lines. You would use a special adapter to connect the two. You would close the cold line to the WH. You would run a garden hose from the WH out the bulkhead door.

Is that what you are thinking about?

If that gives enough flow to do the job, great. If not, you could raise flow rate higher with a pump, but then you are getting into more money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks