Back feed through water heater inlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Medic357

Reaction score
What I am wanting to do is move my PRV out of my crawl space to where my hot water heater is in a finished closet. There are 3/4" lines feeding my water heater and 3/4" lines plumbed in my houses trunk system. I am eventually going to put a manifold in and I was wondering if I would have any issue Teeing off the water heater line to feed water heater and back feed through plumbing lines for the rest of the house and just cap off current inlet from PRV. That way I can replace the galvanized lines in my house a little at a time to keep from having to do all at once. I didn't know if there may be some issues I couldn't think of that I'd run into during the process.. Pressure issues, water hammering since inlet coming from an elevated source, air trapping etc. etc. etc. Thanks in advance for the input.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Under pressure, water doesn't care which way it goes. Distance and size does make a difference. I normally only use 3/4" on a one bath home, and bump to 1" for a second bathroom home.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I read your post correctly, you can put the PRV any place you wish BEFORE any user (faucets, WH, etc.).

The last house I re-piped, I prepared all piping inside walls from the point of entry to the end users, then shut the water and quickly did all the connections, turn the main back on and checked for leaks. It's easier with a helper.
This way the house didn't have water for less than 4 hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks