awkward..how to seal drain pipe???

Users who are viewing this thread

scrappy

Reaction score
I had a drain put in the upstairs laundry room floor below our new washer. Long story, but i needed to rip it out and now am left with a small diameter hole in the subfloor AND built up mortared/tiled floor. The drain wash roughly removed from the floor and now i need to seal it as it is no longer going to be used. I DO NOT WANT TO RIP THE HOLE BIGGER IN THE FLOOR DUE TO THE AWEFUL DUST HAZZARD CREATED BY THE MOTAR.

The drain pipe runs out from the wall about 36". The drain goes down to the basement and has a vent that goes up and out the roof. I figured I could just cap the drain pipe where it goes out 36" from the wall. But as i mentioned, not a lot of room to work.

WILL SOMETHING LIKE THE EXPANDING INSULATION SEAL IT UP SUFFICIENTLY? I'M WORRIED ABOUT POTENTIAL GASSES COMING UP THROUGH THE DRAIN. NOT REALLY A CONCERN FOR ANY WATER COMING OUT OF IT.

I know this is probably very poorly explained. pleaseask specificquestions ifneeded. thanks for the help.
Scott

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make expanding rubber plugs you could use if you can't get access to put an end cap on it. the plugs have a bolt that you tighten that expands the plug to make the seal.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
If this is a second-floor installation, why not cut and cap the branch from bellow? From your description, it sounds like you still have a stub of pipe penetrating the floor, and you're going to want to pull that out to patch the floor properly.

As for "THE AWEFUL DUST HAZZARD CREATED BY THE MOTAR" -- it really isn't. If you're using a diamond saw/grinder, yeah, it throws up a lot of dust -- but just have someone hold a shop vac next to the blade as you're cutting and it will capture virtually all of the dust. But for a small thing like a drain pipe, there's no need to even do that. Just use a hammer and cold chisel to chip out the inch or so of clearance that you need and you won't have any dust at all.

Finally - did you move the washing machine, or did you just change your mind about the drain. Many jurisdictions now require a floor drain for any above-grade washing machines and water heaters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks