Awful sewer gas smell in the baby's room

Users who are viewing this thread

Climber

Reaction score
I'm not going to dispute the inspectors' information they told you, but moisture in a heating duct doesn't sound like it should be there, even if you had a whole-house humidifier it wouldn't be capable of creating that significant an amount of moisture to fog a mirror (unless the mirror was chilled). On the bright side, I would think that if there was a significant mold problem they (all the people inspecting your house) would have smelled it.
My advice would be to keep that room isolated by stopping up the return vent and heating duct and a towel rolled up at the base of the door. Unfortunately in Strongsville your windows are closed most of the year. If you continue to smell what you think is mold in the house you could always take air samples and have them processed (around $25 - $100, depending on the test done). And again, be aware of your family's health and any changes.

Last edited:

Goldy

Reaction score
I was told by the local health department that there was no mold present in the house, and that there is a sewer gas issue. We are going to look into this a little more and then take the necessary steps to repair the sewer break beneath the slab. We just need to find it with a lot of diagnostics, and camerawork, then they want me to have my ducts cleaned and sanitized from the gases coming thru them. They said that this the cure for the situation, and we will have it all squared away. One step at a time.
Thanks.
PS Cookie.........make sure that you tell them about the mold and whether or not it is necessary for you and your son both to be treated with antifungals, and not antibiotics. Someone posted a message about that earlier. Hope you get well. I pray for you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everyone here agrees that you have a very bad situtation. At this point, the best thing to do is contact an attorney who can decide if you have a case that can be won in court. What we think the problem is and who's to blame isn't going to help much. Clearly you were deceived by omission of problems, but proving it legally and collecting damages requires an attorney.

Goldy

Reaction score
I just want my home fixed, so that it is safe for us, including my babies to live in, breathe in, be in without any health complications or eminent disasters due to secondary damage issues in the home. Everything needs to be looked at and inspected with a systematic approach so we know it is safe to be there and have peace of mind. Thank you all for the advice in trying to help me find out what the problem is. One step at a time.
Thanks again.
Goldie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks