Avoiding Galvanic Corrosion in Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy Thacker

Reaction score
Wrapping up a home addition and a last minute addition of a tub caused a change in location of our fixed glass shower panel. The glass slips into a painted stainless steel u channel that is meant to be attached to a wall one one side and the floor with the top and other side not connected.

With the addition of the tub, we decided to put the glass panel at the rear of shower not connected to the wall. Instead, I bought two 1" square steel tubes that I'm going to anchor to the floor and ceiling. The glass panel will be anchored to the steel tubes using the original u channel.

I've already had both the u channel and the tubes powder coated prior to me knowing about galvanic corrosion. My questions are:

Is the powdercoat alone enough to prevent corrosion?

If not, what's the easiest way to prevent corrosion? Nylon washers, sum buffering strip?

What is best type of anchor to use?

20210926_234345.jpg
20210926_234355.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your worried about corrosion between the anchors and the square tube?

Any kind of stainless steel anchor would be preferred. You need to keep the paint from being scratched on the square tube. Stainless would have been a better way to go for that, but since your where your at, I would just be sure not to damage the paint.

Jeremy Thacker

Reaction score
Your worried about corrosion between the anchors and the square tube?

Any kind of stainless steel anchor would be preferred. You need to keep the paint from being scratched on the square tube. Stainless would have been a better way to go for that, but since your where your at, I would just be sure not to damage the paint.

I'm a little concerned about the stainless u channel and the carbon steel tube being directly next to one another. I'm also worried about the anchor between the two contaminating the other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks