Avoiding an S-TRAP

Users who are viewing this thread

pilotjack

Reaction score
I have a new shower directly over a 2" horizontal (pitched for drain of course). The 2" line turns 90 degrees up into a wall 5'-0" away. Two lavs are connected to the vertical 2" line which continues up and vents through the roof.

So here is what I want to do. Come down from the shower 6-12" into a p-trap go horizontal from there for at least 12" then turn 90 degrees into the horizontal line about 4'-0" away from the lavs. Is this a s-trap? If so what can I do.

Also, since this will be closed in the ceiling of the space below the shower, can I make the p-trap out of PVC fittings or can I connect using compression fitting kits.

pilotjack2000@yahoo.com

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The shower drain should directly enter the trap the drain line leaving can never go up or be pitched up...at all...period.

Where is the vent going to be on this line? How far away?

pilotjack

Reaction score
The line will be vented 4'-0" away as I described (I am using the lav line that extends through the roof as the vent for this fixture). My question really was how far does the trap arm need to be before I can turn it down to the 2" horizontal. I learned from another forum that the arm needs to be at least 2x the pipe diameter. Therefore the 12" arm I described is enough to avoid siphonage. Does anyone disagree?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The turn down would have to be after the vent. If it is before the vent that is when you will be making an s-trap!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks