Avoided a near disaster - Is there a solution so it doesn't happen again?

Users who are viewing this thread

greggor36

Reaction score
I recently had a supply hose to my toilet break. Luckily I was home at the time and stopped it before any damage occurred. I replaced the supply hose with a plastic fitting but am thinking of switching to a metal fitting supply hose instead. Is it worth it?

Also, and most importantly...does anyone know anything about an auto water shutoff system? One where the system shuts the main water off when there's a water leak?

I am interested in all feedback, suggestions and help!

Thank you!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me answer you questions in reverse. There is a supply hose that is supposed to do what you are looking for. Problem is, they tend to shut off when they shouldn't. Avoid these. Many of us like the supply hoses that have the stainless steel mesh over them. Probably the safest connection is the old fashioned solid pipe that is fit to your toilet and supply valve. These are not really a DIY friendly connection because bending the tubing to fit requires experience to avoid kinking the tubing. Just a passing thought, do you know what your water pressure is? If it is too high, that could lead to premature failure of a flexible hose. High pressure is also hard on shut off valves in toilets, clothes washer, and dishwashers. Might be worth checking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks