Automatic emergency shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Another thread posted yesterday (automated valve) has reminded me of an issue I'd like to address on my well system.

A year ago, the pressure switch on my well manifold failed so the well pump didn't shut off when it reached high limit of 60lbs. There is a safety blowoff valve that opens at 70lbs of pressure to protect the house plumbing which it dutifully did, but the well pump attempted to empty my well into the basement as a result. Fortunately, I was home and heard the sound of rushing water in the basement. Still, in the three minutes it took me to get downstairs and throw the breaker, a lot of water ended up on the floor. I can't even imagine what would have happened if it was 20 minutes much less a whole day if we were away.

So I searched for a pressure relief valve with electrical contacts on it to shut down the well pump if the pressure valve released, but there doesn't seem to be one. Am I missing something or does such a simple device not exist?

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is always best to plumb the pressure relief valve to a drain or outside. The "safety" for the safety pressure relief valve could also fail, as these systems should rarely if ever be used. I don't know of anything made like what you are asking for. But you could wire in a flow switch to something that will alert you. Only problem is if you are not home when it happens. On one house I use a ball valve with an automatic controller to shut the valve is the moisture sensors detect anything. On another house I am wiring my moisture sensors to a smart switch that will just turn off the well pump.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
It is always best to plumb the pressure relief valve to a drain or outside. The "safety" for the safety pressure relief valve could also fail, as these systems should rarely if ever be used. I don't know of anything made like what you are asking for. But you could wire in a flow switch to something that will alert you. Only problem is if you are not home when it happens. On one house I use a ball valve with an automatic controller to shut the valve is the moisture sensors detect anything. On another house I am wiring my moisture sensors to a smart switch that will just turn off the well pump.

Thanks Cary. Originally, the relief valve was just aiming on the floor. Because it has a hose bib on it, I stuck a hose on it and have it plumbed out the slider into the woods behind my house (my land). I would have plumbed it into the drain, but I have a septic system and didn't want to have the contents of the well pumped into the septic. My backyard is almost an acre but I still would prefer to shut down the well if this situation ever occurs again.

I have already designed a Rube Goldberg system to disconnect the power to the well when water hits the floor, but I was hoping there would be an off the shelf solution.

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
One of those moisture sensors can close a valve, turn off the pump, and/or send you an alarm. I am just know learning about this Smart house stuff, but there is a lot you can do with it, as long as it continues to function properly and the Wifi doesn't quit on me. :)

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
You could plumb in a second switch set to higher limits and wire it in series.

Given the admittedly rare nature of the limit switch failure, that plan would almost certainly eliminate the same problem although I would have to inspect the primary switch periodically to make sure I wasn't running on the back up. Still, a lightning strike may fuse both sets of contacts. Also, the standpipe for switch is threaded into the manifold. I would have to drill and tap another spot for a second switch.

John

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks