Automatic Air Vent leaking water!

Users who are viewing this thread

The Mountain Goat

Reaction score
First, this is a great forum. Thanks to all in the community.

I have a well tank that runs through an air tank then through an iron filter, through a water softener, and then through the house. Atop the air tank is a Braukmann EA122 Automatic Air Vent. I used to get a sucking sound at the top of the vent. Now I have water dribbling out the top. I also have about 20 lbs on the pressure gauge.

Any ideas as to what I should check?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I understand how those tanks and valves work, it sounds like your valve is not sealing properly and letting the air out. IF I've got this right, it will cause the pump to short cycle. Don't know if the valve is separately replaceable, but if it is, suggest replacing it. The high pressure limit should cause the pump to shut off before water reaches the height in the tank of the valve. If the air is leaking out, then it will fill up with water, rapidly max out the pressure, and shut the pump off. Normally, the pressure would gradulally increase as it compresses the trapped air. If yours spikes, that would be consistent with my understanding. Note, I'm not a pro.

The Mountain Goat

Reaction score
More on the air vent...

Thanks Jim. The vent can be replaced. I noticed in the photo that it can be twisted to turn it on or off. When I did the entire unit including the brass base moved, so I'm certain it is loose.

One more question before I attempt to remove it. Do I have to concern myself with air pressure in the tank? The pressure gauge goes up to 50 when I turn the water off.

Thanks.
From another Jim.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need one of the pros to verify my thoughts before you tear anything apart and start changing things. I think I understand your problem, but I'm not certain.

The Mountain Goat

Reaction score
Problem solved!

For all those who like a happy ending...

I tightened the air vent to the tank, and then uscrewed the top of the valve. Inside is a float with a mini surfboard. The float is supposed to push the mini-surfboard up against the rubber seat on the bottom of the air valve, keeping water from the vent. Its almost like a one barrel carburator with float, needle and seat.

Anyway, since the air tank is inline before the iron filter, I had iron sediment coating the surfboard and the rubber gasket, keeping it from sealing. I cleaned everything up, reassembled, and now the leaks are gone, and the water pressure and volume are much greater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks