Auto switch between 2 wells

Users who are viewing this thread

kellerdc

Reaction score
I currently have two wells, each with their own pressure switch and tank. If I leave both wells on one will actually backfill the other tank. At this point I am manually switching between the two wells.

How can I set it up so that it automatically switches between the two wells? Would I set it up with one tank and one pressure switch and from the switch send the signal to an alternator to alternate between the two pumps?

Please help!

Thanks.

R

Rancher

kellerdc said:
If I leave both wells on one will actually backfill the other tank.

Why is one backfilling the other, do you not have separate check valves on the output of both wells?

The device you need to alternate the wells is... an alternating relay:

http://www.ssac.com/catalog/ARP01A01.pdf

I use one to alternate pumps filling my pressure tank from the storage tank.

Rancher

kellerdc

Reaction score
Hi Rancher,

Thanks for the reply - looks like exactly what I need.

In answer to your question, no I do not have check valves, just gate valves. When I redo it I will make them check valves

Quick question - with this device it sounds like I will end up with just one tank and one pressure switch which will then connect to the relay and then to the two pumps. Is this how you see it working?

Thanks

R

Rancher

Yes that's exactly how it work, however if you already have two tanks hooked up in this system, I wouldn't remove the second tank, unless it goes bad.

Rancher

kellerdc

Reaction score
Hi Rancher,

Sorry to sound stupid, but how would you keep the second tank in the system?

Thanks

R

Rancher

I'm not sure of your exact setup, but I'm guessing you have 2 wells, 2 pumps, 2 gate valves, 2 pressure switches, and 2 tanks and then piping to the house from each tank where they must join and become one water pipe? Correct? Are your pumps submersible? I'm still not sure what is happening to cause the backfilling of one well from the other, you must have a check valve in line, either above ground or integrated with the submersible, or the water would just flow back out of your pressure tank into the well. First thing you must do to make it automatic is to stop the backfilling, that should not be happening. Then use only one pressure switch to control the alternating relay.

There is one currently one for auction at the site we can't mention on here, but it's like e-bay

Rancher

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Sorry but I don't see what it hurts to let both tanks fill from either pump. I do lots of multiple pump systems. All we do is stagger the pressure switches. One at 40/60 the other at 30/50. Both tanks are common on the line so which ever pump is running is using both tanks. That is actually a good thing. If you only need one pump at a time, the 30/50 pump will never come on. In that case you just use a timer to shut down the 40/60 pump ocassionally and the 30/50 automatically comes on. Then when timer lets the 40/60 pump come back on, it builds enough pressure to turn off and keep off the 30/50 pump.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you get the DPDT version of that alternating relay, you can use two pressure switches in the following way.

The first switch is set at the higher range. It will alternate the pumps. But if the pressure gets too low, either because of pump failure or greater demand, the lower pressure switch will cause both pumps to run at the same time.

Either pump can fill both tanks. You need check valves at the pumps, which you probably already have.

R

Rancher

Bob,

Exactly right, that's what I plan to do with my pressure tank, got the relays and everything, just need that round tuit.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks