Austin, TX test results: need advice on water softener and pH

Users who are viewing this thread

WelATX

Reaction score
Property just outside Austin, TX. Well water.
Household size is two adults.

Is a Fleck 5810 XTR2 48k the way to go?

Is the low pH (6.17) going to be a problem? (plumbing is PEX) Do I need to raise it?

Thanks for any advice!

Test results from the lab: (sample was taken from storage tank that's filled by well pump)

lNGBEHh.png

Last edited:

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Property just outside Austin, TX. Well water.
Household size is two adults.

Is a Fleck 5810 XTR2 48k the way to go?

Is the low pH (6.17) going to be a problem? (plumbing is PEX) Do I need to raise it?

Thanks for any advice!

Test results from the lab: (sample was taken from storage tank that's filled by well pump)

lNGBEHh.png

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
your roughly 33 gpg hard, so significantly hard. a 48 k grain should work with 2 people in the home properly programmed. a softener will also raise the pH by .3, which puts you at 6.5. PEX won't be affected. however your TDS is very high. an RO will remove up to 90% of that but will require a booster pump as your rejection rate will be significant and result in significantly reduced production rate. a whole house RO would be ideal, but usually prohibitively expensive. the alternative is an under-sink RO for drinking and cooking.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks