Atypical Kohler Diverter in base of tub spout....doesn't pull out, is this going to be a problem to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Older Kohler diverter which is in a tub, if you pull up on the valve it does not give, it turns, but only if you have the water on, will it only slightly divert water to the showerhead. I am having a time trying to find this on the web , but am asking if you have any ideas on if this difficult to budge diverter is gonna be so hard to remove that I may need to get it out in pieces....
Anyone see this configuration where the diverter is in the base instead of the tip of the spout..
Any observations or advice is appreciated
Thanks in advance

Kohler diverter B.jpg
Kohler Diverter a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow! I've never seen a wood tub like that. And I can't find a picture of that tub spout either to see if I can pull up a parts page on it.

Reaction score
Wow! I've never seen a wood tub like that. And I can't find a picture of that tub spout either to see if I can pull up a parts page on it.
Thanks, it was made by a master Italian keg cooper when the place was built in 1980, Colorado , Its a Kohler product (Imprinted on the fixture) , the diverter valve , I am assuming should pull up to engage the shower, but it hardly budges......and to get any water to come out of the shower head, you have to pull on it while the water is on and only a minimal amount comes out of the shower head. I realize the allen screw needs to be loosened to remove the knob and then unscrew the entire assembly. Its just that at this point, it may be so crudded up w scale, I dare not even attempt to remove it unless I am sure I can get a part to repair this....

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler Alterna K-6942. The cartridge is discontinued by kohler but is reproduced by the Jerich company # 21475

kohler-alterna-parts.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg
kohler-21475.jpg

I hope I'm not messing this up. I'm trying. I love that you know this stuff Marlinman, I couldn't figure any of this out. TL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Wow I am totally impressed that someone has archives that can pull up OLD plumbing w an equivalent that can be used.....I went to ebay and they have what appears to be a genuine old stock valve..... If the local plumbing supply place cannot find a Jerich equivalent, the old Ebay OEM may be a good equivalent.

Reaction score
So, this is the big question, if the diverter valve is so unmovable that it marginally moves, is this going to be a big endeavor to remove and replace with a new part... like having to pull it out in pieces ?
Thanks for sharing any past experience with similar replacements

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This diverter cartridge seals on an o-ring to the spout body. An adjustable (Cresent) wrench should remove it with just some resistance. You can always have another person to hold the spout from turning if that is a issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks