Attaching cover plates for wall cleanouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
I'm curious about how wall cleanout cover plates are attached. I've seen special cleanout plugs that have a threaded insert and come with their own cover plate. Presumably, the long cover attachment screw that's included is cut in the field so that it doesn't bottom out in the threaded insert embedded in the plug?

But I've also seen a number of cover plates sold separately from cleanout plugs. Many are packaged with a wood screw and, from photos I've seen on the internet, it appears that people are screwing the cover plate mounting screw directly into the PVC or ABS cleanout plug. It seems to me this would compromise the air/water tight seal of the plug. Are people doing this wrong? If so, how are these cover plates supposed to be attached?

Mliu

Reaction score
The screw through the plug is how I have always done it. It does NOT "compromise" anything.
Interesting. Does the screw penetrate the plastic wall of the plug to the interior chamber of the test tee? I suppose if the cover is never removed, then the screw will be sealed by being wedged into the plastic of the plug. But wouldn't removing/replacing the cover plate eventually cause the hole to loosen to the point that it could leak?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks