At Wit's End - Loud Humming Noise from Pipes (w/Video)

Users who are viewing this thread

opinions_needed

Reaction score
I live above the 10th floor in a high rise condo and have been experiencing an intermittent loud humming noise, like a foghorn, from a set of pipes that connect to the washing machine. There doesn't seem to be any relation to the time of day or whether or not the water is running in my apartment. It just happens and then stops. Sometimes it goes for like 12 seconds, sometimes it's an hour. I can feel the pipes vibrate to the touch when it occurs. The volume ranges from barely audible to obnoxiously loud.

I spoke to a plumber over the phone and he said it's likely an issue with a PRV or pressure reducing valve in my building, and might be resolved by having the building's maintenance inspect/repair the valve. I'm not super familiar with these terms or concepts but I appreciated the input.

I have a video, and just want to hear some anonymous internet opinions. The maintenance staff in my building are not necessarily the most responsive. I just want to gauge whether or not this is something that can be addressed via an outside service call and not have to deal with building management.

Thanks!

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wT9L96ftJJqfUdyx3hpsCV_EZfaxMux2/view?usp=sharing

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
WOW!!!! That is crazy.. and yes, I would agree that it sounds like a PRV. It could be a Long ways away too as noise travels through pipes for a Long distance.

Unfortunately if it belongs to the building then its their responsibility.. Do any of your neighbors hear it as well? I would be writing your building management to get that taken care of ASAP.. Make sure you have a paper trail so they can't say they didn't know.

opinions_needed

Reaction score
WOW!!!! That is crazy.. and yes, I would agree that it sounds like a PRV. It could be a Long ways away too as noise travels through pipes for a Long distance.

Unfortunately if it belongs to the building then its their responsibility.. Do any of your neighbors hear it as well? I would be writing your building management to get that taken care of ASAP.. Make sure you have a paper trail so they can't say they didn't know.

Thank you for your comment. I am certain my neighbors hear it as well as it can get quite loud.

If you don't mind, can you explain in layman's terms how a faulty valve would cause this noise? Thank you again!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not the most Technically Savvy in this instance. But.. When any valve opens and closes.. such as your sink faucets, it creates differences in pressure on one side. The pressurized water is making noise as it gets to the less pressure side until 1 of 2 things happen. Either the water stops flowing, or pressure on both sides equalize.

Sometimes the reason the PRV makes noise is that it has become defective. Sometimes it could be the wrong PRV for the job.. like its in the wrong pressure range or flow rate. Some instances require 2 valves, one for high flow and one for low flow to prevent that noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks