At my wits end - smelly water

Users who are viewing this thread

62caster

Reaction score
I’d be lying if I said literal tears of frustration have not been shed over this.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my water smells.

I’m on city water. The city tested it and all looks within spec to them.

My neighbors do not have an issue.

My anode was replaced yesterday with a zinc one (old one was very calcified) but that seems to have done nothing.

I do not have a filter or softener.

My hot AND cold smells. Like smelly feet or old socks. It’s overwhelmingly awful. Makes me sick.

A second plumber threw his hands in the air.

What else can I do? Can I bleach the tank and run it through the lines? This is driving me absolutely insane. It came out of almost nowhere.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to flush the lines and tank with hydrogen peroxide and turn the temp of the tank up afterward. Bleach is not good in a lot of plumbing parts.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get a low range chlorine/chloramine test, to make sure there is some remain by the time it gets to your house.

You can sanitize your plumbing IMO. I would tend toward chlorine bleach with the pH adjusted. I would use a utility pump to circulate the solution. I am not a pro. We can discuss it. For a house I would use a lower chlorine level and higher pH than I would use for a well. Describe your plumbing (copper, pex, galvanized, or what?) Resistance electric WH?

Regarding an anode, while an aluminum+zinc anode will support less H2S production by SRB, a powered anode will be even better. However I would seek one out with a longer electrode than the CorroProtect.

140F will reduce the area where SRB can grow comfortably, but that is not safe to deliver to faucets. A mixing valve would be called for.

CBme

Reaction score
If your cold water smells the same amount, including at the outside spigots, it is not your hot water tank.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you probably need to install an activated carbon filter that backwashes itself.....
get a 2 cubic foot unit with CLACK control that will automatically backwash the incoming water every week and install it at the main line to the house

I have installed a few of the smaller ones that immediately took out a wet sock smell from a well water system.... but they have to constantly change the filters every few months....

the backwashing type of carbon filter is the best.

here is a picture of a smaller stacked unit with
both a water softner and carbon filter combined..

1675943844473.png

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
It’s not smelly in the spigots

Any chance the stink is the drains? Some active water running might stir up a drain stench. I'd try disinfecting the drains for the hey of it. Can't hurt...

I'd also fill up a gallon jug from the sink and bring it outside to smell it to make sure it's in the water. It's good to eliminate all possibilities no matter how remote they are.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks